Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Mountain Life + Women's Mountain Khakis Review and Giveaway

Growing up the Matanuska Valley in Alaska (carved by glaciers a very long time ago =) and living now in the Wind River Range in Wyoming, I honestly can’t imagine my life anywhere BUT the mountains.  I love feeling like maybe there are still some places in this world that remain uncharted and mysterious.
Matanuska Valley, Alaska
The truth is that I feel somewhat exposed in wide-open places with nowhere to rest my eyes (except maybe a moving heat mirage.)  I am always looking just a little bit further into the horizon and am often surprised by a nagging feeling of unsettlement. 

The mountains let me breathe, hold my heart, and have encircled the family I grew up in and now my own growing family.  They are home for me. 
Tetons - view from Slide Lake area
While no community is perfect, I admire hard-working men and wind-blown women fretting just a little less about their appearance and a little more about getting their family outside.  In the mountains it is ok for kids to be glowing from a breathless day outside in the dirt and smelling like a campfire all summer (or winter!) long.  Quality family time is spent hiking, skiing, biking and stocking up firewood.   

This is who I am, and despite attempts to change it during my teenage years, this is who I will remain.  I am truly proud to be a “Mountain Mama”. 

I am now honored to be an Ambassador for a great outdoor company making clothing that fits the life of my family.  Mountain Khakis just came out with their women’s line this past spring, but have been making quality men’s clothing for 9 years now.  Mtn Papa and I can personally attest that they “are built to withstand the elements and activities of everyday mountain living.”


Rugged. Authentic. Reliable. Timeless. And started (and based) in Jackson, WY to boot (one of our very favorite “local” stomping grounds.)

Because Mtn Papa and I are actually BOTH now Ambassadors, you will definitely see product reviews throughout the year on the blog from both a women’s and a men’s standpoint.  We’re pretty excited to offer you the inside scoop on a company we love.  As always, count on the reviews to be honest and thorough and definitely open to comments and discussion.  We aren’t going to “sugar-coat” anything just because we are Ambassadors – it wouldn’t be fair to you, them OR us!

Before I highlight some of my favorites for Spring/Summer, I just want to let you know that I am fully aware that this clothing tends to be on the “higher” end of the cost spectrum.  I am ONLY ok with that when I know it is clothing that is going to last a very long time.  MKs definitely will.  In fact, they have a quality guarantee: Every MK garment meets or exceeds our quality standards and is under a full warranty to the original owner against manufacturer's defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase.”  BUT, if you still can’t swallow it, be sure to watch for end of season sales especially and stock up!

Lake Lodge Pant ($89.95)
Hands down, my current favorite.  Despite the fact that they are more of a “Khaki” than a go-out-and-hike pant, they are the ones I reach for the most.  I think it is because of the stretch cotton/Lycra material + plain and simple soft cotton that makes them super comfortable.  They also happen to wash well (and don’t require an iron if you catch them right out of the dryer!)


The fabric on these is strong, durable and looks good all day (or night…)  The only (BIG) gripe I have with these is that they run a full size small compared to the Granite Creek Pants.  Additionally, since I am usually doing a lot of moving throughout the day, I wish they had that Lycra stretch in them just for a bit more comfort.  The “Ash” color (shown below) is great!
Tough pants that are great for hiking (I wear them on most hikes we do) and still look good enough to wear the rest of the day.  I get tons of complements on these.  UV50+ plus Scotchgard for stain repellence (which I have tested plenty) and moisture-wicking.  Quite honestly, I would probably choose a different color next time - it's always so hard to tell in photos - but I think I would like a darker one better (mine are the "Mushroom" color - shown in photo below.)
They also are GREAT for drying quick.  I may have had to wade in a lake looking for a camera I may have dropped, and despite the sun behind the clouds, I was pretty much completely dry within 20-30 minutes.  They did stretch out a considerable amount, but that is typical and after a wash were good as new.


Basic corps hat, but cute and functional!

Again, a basic T-shirt, but I love the design (it makes me long for the mountains) and washes and wears well (gotta love that Organic cotton! :))
Pssstt: If you go to the Mountain Khakis site, you can help promote clothing you love via social media sites and earn $5 off your order.

Giveaway!
Congratulations to Colorado Mountain Mom - email me to claim your prize!
Mountain Khaki has very generously offered for one of you to win a $30 gift card to their online shop.  To enter (leave a comment for EACH thing you do - a total of 4 entries possible):
1. (Required) Leave a comment on this post about where you feel most comfortable (mountains, water, on your couch, etc. ;))
2. (extra entry) Like us on Facebook and comment that you do/already did.
3. (extra entry) Like Mountain Khakis on Facebook and comment that you do/already did.
3. (extra entry) Follow us on Twitter and comment that you do/already did.
The giveaway will be open until May 22nd at 8 pm MST.  The winner will then be announced on this blog post and via Facebook.  Make sure to leave an email address in your comment so I can get ahold of you!

Mountain Khakis provided me this clothing free of cost for a review on our blog (before we became Ambassadors.)  However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly my own!

67 comments:

  1. in the forest and in my canoe. I can relax and enjoy life. When I am not there with my Big Green Egg smoker

    ReplyDelete
  2. already a fan of you on facebook and love my moutain Kahkis

    ReplyDelete
  3. follow @mtnmamatales and tweeted just for heck https://twitter.com/#!/cjsorel/status/202386748960026624

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mountains but I have to say I'm happiest on the water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already like you on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. in the mountains, and i already like you on facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most comfortable in the mountains. :)
    Susan0974@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel most comfortable and happy in the forests and mountains, although I love to be on and under the water, too. Do I have to choose, lol?! thehikingmama@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just liked Mountain Khakis on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel most comfortable outside...mountain, desert, beach, wherever I get fresh air and can enjoy time with my family. I LOVE Mountain Khakis and super excited about the women's line.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Already like you on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Follow you on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Mountain Khakis on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  14. Outside with my children and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the majesty that is Nature in any form, and I can appreciate pretty much anywhere that is non-populated. :)

    But I'm with you on the mountains, girl! A ragged peaked horizon just seems to soothe and beckon ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Already liked you on FB... liked this post just for good measure. Really enjoyed your intro :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Already following you on Twitter! :)

    @CO_MtnMom

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love Mountains! And I love those khakis!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alexandra JohnsonMay 15, 2012 at 1:22 PM

    I feel most comfortable in the water. So peaceful & relaxing. I love kayaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alexandra JohnsonMay 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM

    Already like you on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alexandra JohnsonMay 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM

    Liked Mountain Khakis on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alexandra JohnsonMay 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

    Following you on Twitter :) @alexeffinrocks

    My email is alex04johnson@yahoo.com


    Thanks for this wonderful giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hiking mountains is where I feel the most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Already a fan of you on facebook

    email: superstevesays@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just liked Mountain Khakis on facebook

    email: superstevesays@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Following you on Twitter
    @StevenFoust1

    email: superstevesays@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Most comfortable in the mountains. chess04player@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Already like you on FB
    chess04player@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just liked Mountain Khakis on FB
    chess04player@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I feel most comfortable along the trails. Wherever they are.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like Mountain Khaki's on facebook.
    (star scot)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like you on facebook
    (star scot)

    ReplyDelete
  33. And I follow you on twitter.
    (jen_scot)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I follow you on Facebook/Twitter and have been for some time! This is a fun one...I am most comfortable camping with my family! I feel that it really allows me to relax the most as a mom. The entire family sleeping under the stars (or in the tent) and waking with the birds singing, fresh air and a to-do list of ONLY FUN THINGS TO DO with the family! Now that the boys are in Scouts I am learning so much more about their interest and ways we enjoy the outdoors together!
    lauracellingson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I follow you on Facebook and Twitter as well as Mountain Khakis on Facebook and Twitter. I feel most comfortable out in the woods and on the water. Hunting, Fishing, Backpacking you name it I am there. Growing up in the Boy Scouts it taught me alot about the Outdoors and Nature and growing up hunting and fishing made life even better. I hunt all year round and now Bowfishing has become my passion. I went on my first Alligator hunt last year and I cant wait till I can apply for tags in June here in Mississippi. The outdoors is my life and there is nothin like getting away from all the concrete and steel and just getting back to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  36. When I was little, I always grew up next to the ocean. Standing on the shore made me feel like a part of something so huge. There was were I was most comfortable in my growing up life..then I found the mountains. Now, as an adult, it is where I call home.

    But I still miss the sound of the waves and the taste of salt in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I feel most at home when I am sitting in my kayak in the middle of nowhere! Mushpuppy@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I feel most comfortable hiking along a trail whether it be in the mountains, along a rugged seacoast or in the canyon country of the southwest US.
    eugeniewu at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I already like Mountain Khakis on Facebook.
    eugeniewu at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  40. i feel at home with a combination of water, mountains, trees and fresh air. I find when I dont have a good balance of these things where Im living, I am not able to settle in, and set roots.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Im a fan of you on fb :) barefoothappyness at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Im a fan of mountain khakis on fb :) barefoothappyness at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I feel most happy/comfortable when I am by a waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I already like you on Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I like Mountain Khaki's on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love love love being on the river in a raft! Liked you and Mountain
    Khakis on FB. Also now following you on Twitter! :) rgovier@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Definitely feel most comfy on the beach :] or in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  48. already "like" you on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  49. already follow you on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  50. "like" mountain khaki on facebook...Great giveaway thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the water but I'm comfortable on the mountain too!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I already did like you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I Follow you on Twitter as @jdnorthwest

    ReplyDelete