I wake up in not the best mood (AKA downright grumpy) and tired from a sleepless night (think teething baby!) I find myself taking it out on my kids within minutes. I decide that for the good of all involved throughout the day, a morning run is something that HAS to happen. Stat.
Mtn Papa had to go into work early that morning, which means that any run will involve 3 of us plus the dog. Not a huge deal, something I am pretty used to.
Kids fed. Check.
Kids dressed and diapers changed. Check.
Meltdown #1 handled (J wants to put music on and dance, I convince him he can dance in the Chariot with the iPod touch tunes.) Check.
Teeth brushed. Check.
Mama dressed. Check.
Meltdown #2 handled (J wants more breakfast, I hand him a granola bar.) Check.
J dressed in his snow gear. 17 degrees and windy. Lots of layers required. Check.
P is tired and begins to fuss (because we have now been awake almost 2 hours.) Dress him in his warm gear anyway. Check.
Mama's warm gear on. Check.
All accounted for in the garage ready to load Chariot. Check.
Chariot apparently needs repairs and I cannot get the running attachment on for the life of me (I will save you the details.) P crying, J still wanting to dance, dog whining, biting my tongue. Fail.
New plan:
J will ride his bike (at this point I am starting to pray he will suddenly go super fast on the gravel....for miles...) and P will sit in the BOB Jogging stroller (single kid size.) P has never been in the BOB, not a huge fan, continues to cry. I realize he will need some more wind protection (I was counting on the Chariot for breaking the wind) - run inside to grab a few blankets.
Get J's helmet on, he is being quite patient actually and he rides out of the garage. Dog still whining.
It is MUCH windier than I thought. J is a trooper and is distracted from the cold by the cool tracks his bike makes in the snow. We get a few hundred yards. J decides he wants to go home. Bribing begins.
P FINALLY falls asleep, dog is impatient because I forgot his ball to throw, J starting to get cold and not too happy. Running is definitely not even an option. Bribing, coaxing, etc. at full force.
We make it around the block. Barely. Hot chocolate is promised. P wakes up as soon as I take him out of the stroller groggy and grumpy (which I happen to know better than to do.) I give up on the workout until at least later in the day.
Deep breaths taken.
The good news? We were outside for a good 40 minutes (yep, it took us that long...) in some fresh air, which did help my mood and J's too (he was ready to come in, but will a smile on his face.) We can try again tomorrow.
Exhausted? Me too. But, it is all part of the game and completely worth it. Yes, my run was a complete fail. But, getting outside wasn't! This is life and we just keep on going. Our kids, our family and our health are worth it!
Ever have a similar day? What inspires you to keep on going??


Oh yes... this sounds familiar. There's several things I try to do/remember. Remembering that while adventures just not happen as planned there's no such thing as bad outdoor time... and that there will be a smile if we can just get the @*#& outside! If it means marching around the yard for 1/2 hour so be it, if it means an impromptu scavenger hunt (let's see if we can find ...) again we're outside. We have a portable radio (works off the same battery as our cordless drill) which provides tunes while getting ready and outside if required (and I'm too tired/distracted to sing). A hiking stick or his treasure bucket make the adventure his. That being said I only have the one so it's less than half the trouble of two.
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! I love the marching thing - maybe we will do that to music today! Dancing outside is great!
DeleteThank you for this! You are SO not alone.
ReplyDeleteOh good! :) Thanks for the affirmation!
Delete