Monday, February 20, 2012

The "Indoor Recess" Kid

Across the country, recess (especially in the elementary school) is being threatened to be replaced by more classroom time.  I may be bold in saying so, but I honestly couldn't think of a better way to inhibit learning.  


As a teacher myself, I have seen all spectrums of recess play.  I have been tempted to take away the "privilege" of recess due to misbehavior for a kid that really may need it more than anyone else in the class.  I have bandaged up cuts and bruises and broken up "fights" and drama between kids (yes, even between those sweet 8 year olds!)  I have seen kids laugh and cry and take their coats off when it was 20 degrees outside (because they truly are hot from playing!) 


I have watched kids make up their own games and involve their entire class in their play.  Giant piles of snow have become incredible forts in less than 15 minutes.  Climbers are climbed and swings are swung.  


Growing up, I was definitely the kid that would do anything I could to avoid going outside to recess.  Crazy as it sounds now, I would offer to help the teacher, insist I had extra work to do (despite the fact that I was ahead in most of my classes) or "forget" my warm gear.  I was missing out. (And I am so glad I have learned better since then!)


My point is this:  Kids NEED to spend time outdoors.  Kids in public schools, kids in private schools and kids that are home-schooled.  There is NO exception for the need for recess on a daily basis (even though that may be indoor recess in the case of extreme weather.)


The National Wildlife Federation has a great article stating that "kids who spend time outside have fitter bodies, better eyesight, less stress, and better grades." They go on to list 10 reasons why kids need fresh air including longer attention spans and less hyperactivity depression (key components in helping kids learn in and outside of the classroom.)  


Now as an adult, I know that I do my best thinking on a pair of skis or in my hiking boots.  It is simply impossible for me to sit and do my work all day without taking time for fresh air.  My efficiency is compromised to the point that 15 minutes of fresh air translates into an easy two hours of good work instead of 4 hours of "trying to get something done."

I also have to bring up the controversy of playgrounds now being "too safe".  The New York Times published a great article back in July of 2011 arguing the playgrounds that limit risks for kids are actually damaging their emotional growth.

I whole-heartedly agree with this quote from that same article: “Children need to encounter risks and overcome fears on the playground,” said Ellen Sandseter, a professor ofpsychology at Queen Maud University in Norway. “I think monkey bars and tall slides are great. As playgrounds become more and more boring, these are some of the few features that still can give children thrilling experiences with heights and high speed.”


Kids need to learn through their mistakes (that is life!!!) and they need a chance to be challenged and to challenge themselves.  Skinned knees, arguments and the lesson of "getting up and moving on" are crucial to kid development.  


I want to know what you think.  Do your kids get recess every day in their schools (or home?)  Do you see obvious changes in your kids attitudes when they DON'T get outside (or when they do?!?!)  It is dramatically different in our home for all of us.  

6 comments:

  1. Great post! When my son started Kindergarten this year I was appalled by their school schedule showing very little time for recess. Growing up I had 2 15 minute recesses and one 30 min recess. He only gets 1 of 15 minutes. I'm thankful that his teacher does take the class outside for learning activities from time to time, but I wish it was required time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - isn't that horrible for kindergarteners at that?!?! Those kids need to move all day long!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! Some of my best memories from elementary school are from recess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Kids absolutely need time outdoors and schools cannot ignore that. It's sad to hear about school that now have recess only once a day or not at all. It's so important that children are given recess daily, especially for kids in low income areas whose parents may not be available to get kids outdoors evenings and weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! We cannot agree with you more. It's inspiring to hear that your efficiency at work significantly improves with a quick recess, but alarming to know that recess is being compromised for the ones that need it most. We would love to hear about your recess breaks with your kids--where do you go and what do you do for a quick break? We have some fun ideas at recess.keenfootwear.com. Thank you for posting about this important issue!

    ReplyDelete