Sunday, October 9, 2011

Boys and Mama Hike

Husband is a brave man and spent the weekend chaperoning the local middle schoolers on a trip to Yellowstone (his 6th? year!)  Which meant it was me and the boys this weekend!  

I love that we can literally walk from our home out to the Badlands and hike.  It is a great place to run too (unless it has been wet and then it is much to mucky-slippery-gloopy to manage anything.)  The temperatures have been cooler, but the wind wasn't too bad and so we went.  J always gets excited about an "adventure" and I literally had to bribe him to get him to agree to get BACK in the pack after running around a bit so we could make it home before it started to rain (though it never did....)  

                     


So freeing to know that I can hike by myself with both kids.  P slept for most of it in the Action Baby Carrier:)  My only complaint is that I think our 90s era Kelty just doesn't cut it for me.  Husband thinks it is great, but I am hoping to find something else eventually (anyone have any suggestions?).  I could use a baby-carrier on my back too, but with two of them (and knowing J would want to hike too at some point) a frame pack is an easier on-off option.  And the technology has come a LONG way since Husband's nephews rode in the pack 16 years ago! :) 





J's second cup of hot chocolate ever (much-deserved after a couple hours of hiking!)  He was thrilled!

1 comment:

  1. We have a Sherpani (http://sherpani.com/baby-carriers.aspx) and we love it. (Also a hand-me-down form a cousin). I have a short torso so I like that it is fully adjustable.

    Sylvia loves it, too. Whenever she sees it she gets excited and has to play with it right away. I finally had to hide it because I was sick of tripping over it in the living room!

    The storage pockets are quite big, so be careful not to overload them with unnecessary junk. Also, it does NOT free-stand with a child in it - load and go only!

    ReplyDelete