Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Active Mama! *Guest Post*

I was an active girl long before I was pregnant. I’ve been running since training for and completing a marathon in 2002. Over the years, I had kept up running and that didn’t change when I got pregnant. I was lucky enough to enjoy a very healthy pregnancy and was able to run until I was about 6 months pregnant and transitioned to run/walking and walking as I grew into that last trimester. Naturally, a jogging stroller was on our baby gear wish list. I had visions of putting the wee one into the stroller and getting my run on every afternoon.

Then reality struck. My wee one, Hudson, arrived in April. A perfect baby boy. But at 7lbs 10ozs, he was too small for the jogging stroller! It was only then, after he arrived, that I realized you’re not supposed to use the jogging stroller with them until they have developed good neck support, which is often closer to 6 months old. On top of that, he was a terrible sleeper with digestion issues that left this momma too exhausted to think about running, let alone do it while pushing a stroller and baby. But, not one to be deterred, I found an alternative that allowed me to stay active. I knew I needed something more than the casual stroll that would get us out and about.

Heading out for a hike near our home



And there was: hiking. That was something I could do while enjoying the great outdoors, getting my heart rate up and a bit of sweat going at whatever pace worked for me that day while still safely toting Hudson along for the ride. I invested in a good carrier that was easy to use, offered back support, and could carry Hudson from his tiny mite size into the almost 20lb turkey he is today and beyond.  Better yet, I found I really enjoyed this part of our day. When he was smaller, it was a great way to get Hudson to nap. I would hike, enjoy the peace and quiet while he snuggled face into my chest and snoozed away. As he got a little older and stronger, it was a great way to expose him to new scenes. He loved facing out and seeing what was going on around him. Now he loves to babble as I point out trees and rocks and clouds and birds and the many other wonderful things that make up our great outdoors.

Enjoying a fall hike with the Outdoor Mamas group
Around the same time I started hiking I was introduced to an online facebook group of other mamas in my area called Outdoor Mamas. The group, coordinated by one mama, gets together once a week to hike one of the many trails we’re blessed to have all around us here in Newfoundland and Labrador. Each week the group is different, with both mamas and papas and their babes, even dogs, in the mix. It’s an excellent way to combine the outdoors, exercise and socializing for parents and tots alike.

Taking a summer hike in the park
At 7 months old, Hudson is now more than strong enough for the jogging stroller and we’re reintroducing that into our activity list, but I know hiking is there to stay too. What I realized over the last few months was there are plenty of ways to stay active as a new mama and variety makes the days more interesting and the exercise much more enjoyable. So whether it’s walking, hiking, biking, running, swimming, snowshoeing {on our list of winter activities to try!} there’s something out there in the outdoors for all families. Be patient, be open and you’ll find what works for you. I did!

How can you NOT hike when the views are like this??

Colleen is a new mama who enjoys everyday life with her husband and their new bundle of joy on the far east coast of Canada, in Newfoundland and Labrador. She's trying to get the hang of this thing called motherhood. She also like to play creatively with paper and ribbon in her scrapbook nook and with pots and pans in her kitchen. She enjoys Sunday afternoon coffee at Starbucks and dark chocolate almost equally and most certainly together. And on her blog, EveryDay, is where you'll find random snippets of all of the above and more.

1 comment:

  1. Hiking is a wonderful family activity that the kids enjoy at any age. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete