Camping with young kids always takes a bit more thought and planning. We've accepted the fact that the sleepless nights, dirty kids, bringing along a little potty and working hard to keep the mosquitoes at bay for our (apparently sweet) 3-year-old are just part of the game (which will change with time.)
To be perfectly honest, I dread the sleeping part of camping right now.
Laying awake I certainly spend some time daydreaming about years down the road where sleeping through the night is a possibility, even in a tent. While it won't keep us from camping and getting out whenever we can, it certainly means built-in naps for Mama (because everyone else manages to sleep through the "struggles") in the hammock are a must if we want to do anything productive the following day(s). I certainly won't claim to be an expert in everything, so this is my plea for anyone with tips to get a 1-year-old to be ok in a sleeping bag to send them on our way!
But, like I say often on here, the experiences are absolutely worth it and practice makes perfect. While our summer adventures mean being open to the fact that they could be cancelled (very) last minute due to a wildfire (thanks to Mtn Papa's job) we are working hard to cram everything in we can (while still remaining sane!) It's part of the "no excuses" motto we try to live by.
Yes, it takes more work.
Yes, it can be draining.
Yes, mistakes are made and lessons learned.
Yes, sometimes I want to bag it and head on home.
AND
Yes, it brings us closer as a family.
Yes, it is getting easier as our kids get older.
Yes, every kid is different (which means different perks AND struggles).
Yes, we will continue doing it (the big AND the little adventures.)
This past weekend we spent some time talking about our current favorite bring-alongs for camping. The things we miss when we don't have them and may not have thought about previously. This list is not comprehensive and is a bit random, but worth sharing. It's the little extras (so does not cover the basics like tent and sleeping bags!) Plus, read to the end for your chance to win some of them!
Lightload Towels (24x12 inch): Two-pack $2.00
Sturdy towels that pack up to the size of a half dollar and can be used over and over? Yes, please! We use these all the time for cleaning up kids (they certainly can get messy), camp dishes, cleaning up spills and all-around general use. Lightload also makes a beach towel-sized model that would be great for lake/ocean-side backpacking trips. While they are thin (hence the reason they fold up as small as they do) they are sturdy, wash well (though I would recommend hand washing) and dry quickly.
Bug Repellent (we're a fan of Avon's Skin-So-Soft)
So far (fingers crossed) mosquitos/bugs have only been a problem for us while out camping and in the woods. I am sure they are bound to be showing up soon, but for now, I'll take it! We've been working to test out a few different safe (for kids AND adults) repellents. That testing is still in the works for some products, but I wanted to recommend Avon's Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard line. My Alaskan family (where mosquitos are aplenty, I assure you) has been using Skin-So-Soft to repel bugs for years now. It's good stuff.
When recently camping, we quickly grabbed for the Picaridin (strong repellency against mosquitos and deer ticks) for poor J after we realized the repellent we were testing for him was NOT working and he was getting eaten alive. It seemed to solve the problem.
We also have been using the products that have SPF 30 in them (along with Bug Guard) playing down in the Yellowstone River. I love that they are not greasy, safe for all of us (no DEET) and effective for guarding against the sun and bugs. For the kids, especially, I prefer the spray sunscreen most of the time - it's just easier to get on them quickly.
The Kicker: Avon products are sold online and only through an Avon representative (find a rep near you through their site.)
Action Wipes (Full Body Wet Wipes): $1.25 single; $24 Travel Pack
We are not campers who bring along solar showers when we are out. While the idea is tempting, I have done my share of bathing in cold lakes (it just adds to the experience, right?!?!) While washing hair will not fall under this category, these wipes are an excellent alternative to lake-shore bathing. All natural, plant-derived ingredients help avoid damaging chemicals and leave skin feeling soft (and not sticky). They are large, strong, smell good and we use them all the time. Stashes remain in our car, our camping tub and the "beach" bag (which goes many more places than just the "beach".) They also come with a spray bottle to refresh when they dry out. Additionally, like the Lightload Towels, they can be reused numerous times and repurposed after that.
Better yet, the wipes are made with essential natural oils that are also antiseptic and antibacterial so they can be used to clean wounds and help remove poison oak and ivy oils (not an issue for us, but certainly others!)
And because I am sure someone will ask, yes, I use BOTH the Lightload Towels and the Action Wipes - they both serve their own purposes for our family and we use them equally and separately.
Find them: Online through their site, on Amazon.com and at boutique bike and outdoor shops.
KidCo Go-Pod: $49.95 at Amazon right now (on super sale)
This handy chair is perfect for camping with kids that are either not quite walking, or walking but could use a little containment around the campfire. While it is advertised to work from around 4 months, we found that even the shortest setting didn't work for P until about 8 months. The chair is height-adjustable, cleans up easily (we hose it off), packs up like a camp chair, and has hooks for toys and holes for food/drinks. P actually will stay in it quite content for a while because he can stand up. While they do make high chairs that are a similar style for camping/traveling, this kid does not sit long enough to be happy in something like that. Highly recommended by us!
JetBoil Flash: $99.95
The perfect solution for quick hot drinks for our entire family (camping or just out playing.) We bring this with us everywhere (because living in the mountains, things tend to cool off quickly in the evening or with storms!) When using a smaller fuel canister, everything fits nicely inside the mug for simplicity on the road. Even better, water heats up quickly and efficiently so fuel lasts a long time! While we aren't coffee drinkers, you can purchase the Java version of the Flash too (for the same price). We've used plenty of camp stoves and love how the entire system is contained and water heats up SUPER fast.
ENO Tent (go for the DoubleNest!): $64.95
I am a super big fan of hammocks, especially for camping. They often serve the purpose of providing me a little place to relax away from everything else and take a few moments (when I wouldn't otherwise.) Because of that, I have tested quite a few. This one takes the cake. It is durable, folds up very small and holds our entire (small) family. I would also highly recommend getting the Slap Straps to go along with it (straps that easily attach your hammock to trees, etc.)
A little something for you:
I contacted a few of the above-listed companies asking if they were willing to do a giveaway of their product so we could share the love a little. Excited to announce that there will be a bunch of winners! Because there is more than one giveaway today, we're using Rafflecopter again. Please make sure to do the task listed and then click "done" in the widget so I know you did! If you are commenting on more than one topic (see Rafflecopter widgets for the questions) feel free to comment once and do the whole shabang. However, extra discussion is always welcome and encouraged! Winners will be chosen randomly and contacted to claim their prizes after July 12th. Good luck!
These products (minus the Go-Pod) were generously given to us by the company for the purpose of this review (most per our request.) However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly our own. Additionally, some of these links are affiliates which means that a (very) small percentage of the profit comes back to us to help us offset the cost of this blog and the information we help provide. See our full disclosure here.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway








My "Relaxing" is getting up early in the morning before everyone else and enjoy the peace and quiet.
ReplyDeleteSometimes that means a hut cuppa, other times that's a fishing rod in the hands.
Oh and for the 1 year old our habit was to zip two bags together and just plonk her between us. That way we could make sure she was close and didn't get too cold!
we use baby wipes.
ReplyDeletekayleefaith1228@aol.com
Bugs,yuck my daughter and I HATE bugs while being outdoors. It's as though they seek us out!
ReplyDeletekayleefaith1228@aol.com
Relaxing for me is just sitting in front of the fire!
ReplyDeletekayleefaith1228@aol.com
I recently went on my first backpack trip and although no children accompanied us, I could surely lighten my load..a LOT. The towels that fold to a size of a half dollar are a lovely idea. Keep the hints coming!
ReplyDeleteThe Rafflecoptor link didn't work for me, but that's ok, because we already have the hammock--that was my husband's father's day gift this year. Now we just have to get him out camping! The towels look nice, though ;)
ReplyDeleteOne of the things we loved when the boys were small was a dog bed. It's weird, but a (new) dog bed is perfect for little ones that roll all over the place. We couldn't keep my younger son on a sleeping mat, but the square dog bed worked perfectly. When he got a little older we passed the bed on to our actual dogs.
When I think back (not very long ago) to all the camping we did with itty-bitties, it seems a little crazy. It was so much work. But we plowed through and now our boys (3.5 and 5) are awesome campers.
I like to hang out in a hammock, read a book, or just sit on the dock and watch the water.
ReplyDeleteWhat could I not go without when camping? Probably bug spray, as my kids get eating alive. Bugs never bothered me though, so it's hard to remember it a lot.
ReplyDeleteWe love going camping as a family! A place to sleep off of the ground? Who knew? :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLoving all of the tips! Still haven't taken Pio on his first camping trip yet, but he got dirty enough yesterday celebrating the 4th that I could have used something handy to clean him.
ReplyDeleteThinking the go pod will be a must. It's quite helpful while I nanny either outside or in the kitchen. I gave it to my sister to take camping today. :)
ReplyDeleteI was always the kid who got eaten by bugs....even if there was only enough repellent left for me and no one else. Everyone would wake with a couple of bites and my sister would enjoy counting mine up at each morning. Boo! Definitely glad to have a recommendation on good stuff for kiddos!
ReplyDeleteI love to sit around the campfire talking or around a table lit by lantern playing cards. :)
ReplyDeleteGetting our boys to go to sleep is probably the most challenging thing about camping.. Most of the sites we camp at have concrete slabs where the tents go- so have an air mattress or some kind of foam mat is a must!
ReplyDeleteSafe bug spray for kids is very important! The Avon products are great!
ReplyDeleteI like to sit in front of the campfire and enjoy a s'more to relax..
ReplyDeleteWe use baby and/or body wipes to clean up.
ReplyDeleteI typically use baby wipes and unscented wipes on the trail. Whatever works!
ReplyDeletehave a cup of tea and just listen to the sounds of the forest
ReplyDeleteAs for what our family can't do with out: the Jet Boil. It makes meals so much easier that we can spend time enjoying the outdoors. We take it on longer hikes for hot beverages in the colder months and it works great!
ReplyDeleteWe discovered that baby wipes don't always cut it for cleaning, and having something with antibacterial properties is a must! :) We've used a car chamois cloth to help clean up excess moisture in the tent or outside the tent, which helps a lot when it comes time to pack up.
As for relaxing - a cup of coffee and a book by the camp fire. This is a great list of tips. Especially the comment about a new dog bed. What an innovative idea!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe clean up with paper towels or baby wipes...but now I think we need to invest in some Lightload Towels
ReplyDeleteSleeping in our tent with 2 kids is a challenge for us. Being kicked and elbowed all night makes for crabby parents. We are determined to find a good system this summer.
ReplyDeleteI've had great success making my own bug block...and I love knowing what's in it!
ReplyDeleteWe relax by getting unplugged from cell phone/computers and spend some great quality time with our kids.
ReplyDeleteCamping is a challenge. My fear is, we always camp near a lake so that we can boat or canoe. The little ones always keep me on my toes running after them. I rarely get to actually sit down until evening. But I love spending the undivided attention with my kids and hubby. I know this sounds totally silly, but i have to have our blow up mattress, I have a bulging disc in my low back and the groun just hurts me to bad.
ReplyDeletewe try to buy the herbal bug repellent. Myself and 3 of my daughters must be extremely yummy, because we always get it the worst. I loath misqueto's
ReplyDeleteour way of relaxing is breaking out the chairs and roasting marshmellows on the fire and just enjoying our childrens joy :-)
ReplyDeleteI love that you are featuring the skin so soft bug repellent! We LOVE it! It's is our go to bug repellent any time we are anywhere there will be bugs. I always keep one in my car just in case. There are actually a lot of mosquitos right around our house so C gets doused in it all the time. We have never had a problem with it and she has EXTREMELY sensitive skin. I love that it is both a bug repellent and sunscreen. Also my friend who is an Avon representative just told be they came out with a kids line, I've yet to try it though.
ReplyDeleteWe love to relax by sitting in our camping chairs watching our daughter explore the outdoors around us.
ReplyDeleteWhen car camping we bring fans to put in our tent because there is no shade! *shh* Don't tell anyone! purchasesforpennies@gmail.com
I would love to try relaxing in a hammock, but for now I would have to settle for sitting around a flashlight because of the burn ban for the entire state. Love the campfire when it's not illegal!
ReplyDeleteNice list. One of my biggest concerns when my kids were todders were if they'd eat the rocks/acorns and other natural "hazards", but to my surprise, they had no interest.
ReplyDeleteFunny, I have trouble "relaxing". I can't just sit there and absorb the scenery for more than 5 minutes. I have to do something. I could be walking around, taking photos, examining rocks or plants, whatever, but I can't just sit there. My husband makes fun of me when we go on trips. He can just sit there and relax for hours reading or playing his flute. I guess I have 2 states, wired or unconcious.
ReplyDeleteI'm not crazy about using bug repellent on my skin. I use it because I'm very popular bug food. I try to bring long sleeve shirts and pants of very lightweight and light colored material, so even if it's warm out, the light layer helps prevent some of the sun's rays and makes it harder for the bugs to bite. Then we can spray bug repellent on the clothes (and a hat or bandana) and not directly on our skin.
ReplyDeleteI love this idea to get people involved in your blog. Anyways my friend has a ENO hammock and my cheapo doesn't compare I am in love with his ENO, but text books come before hammocks. A hammock is a must especially when traveling whether I am backpacking, at the beach or on campus a few minutes or hours can truly make my day.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that we didn't camp with our kids until they were no longer toddlers. I personally, could not stand the thought of having to deal with diapers and daytime naps and the constant vigilance that would have been required! Just couldn't do it.
ReplyDeleteNow, of course, the kids are seasoned campers, who we can let run off and play with more freedom as they have gotten older.
But I remain impressed and in awe of those of you who take babies and toddlers camping with you.
We're heading up in the Wind River Mountains in August and would love as much help as possible with our 18 month old. The Action Wipes look like they will be outstanding! Thanks for the review, the cleaning up was one part I was worried about!
ReplyDeleteHow we clean up - carefully! We have only ever taken our daughter on short hikes so far... but we have been using paper towels for wiping her off (she's not a fan!), and try to be careful to pick up any trash that goes off the bed of the truck. No need to use so many paper towels if not needed!
ReplyDeleteIt would be very nice to have gentler products for our skin (and baby girl's) to protect us from the bugs. We're also going camping with another family with a little girl...I am certain all of us would benefit from the Avon bug repellent. The look much nicer than the standard Off! products we normally use. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI love to sit by the fire or just looking at the view.
ReplyDeleteRelaxing is when my little guy falls asleep in his backpack, teaching him to throw rocks in the water, or a cup of hot chocolate with extra marshmallows. We're still looking for the perfect repellent for the Alaskan bugs.
ReplyDeleteAll purpose wipes go everywhere. Car camping we also dish bin, cold water, camp soap, small facecloth.
ReplyDeleteCamping as a family right now our biggest challenge is getting M to settle. He's fine sitting in the tent reading, sleeping in the tent but getting him to actually sleep is impossible. We wouldn't give up the family time completely unplugged for anything. Our little backcountry stove - we take it everywhere - hot drinks and food!
ReplyDeleteGrrr... mosquitoes... bug bites! This past weekend with all the rain, standing water and trees it was a particular problem. A good repellent is a must!
ReplyDeleteUltimate relax is sitting by the campfire on a warm summer's evening.
ReplyDelete