Monday, June 4, 2012

Explore: No Agenda, No Destination, No Rules.


Adventures happen every day. 

They aren’t necessarily an “event” that requires a lot of planning or foresight to make happen.  Granted, some camping trips, backpacking trips or longer hikes certainly require thinking ahead a little (or a lot), BUT we easily forget about those moments of discovery and exploration that are so crucial to connecting with the world around us.
Helping foster exploration, creativity and wonder in kids is as important as it is easy, because they LOVE to discover.  My boys can sit in front of a pile of dirt and be content for hours. 

As a family, we make it a habit to get into the woods and just do some exploring as often as we can. 

No agenda.  No destination.  No rules.   And more often than not, no trails.  Just eyes-open, ears in-tune and taking in the beauty of nature with each breath. 

It’s shocking, really, what you miss when you don’t take the time to just be. 

In a short hour-long hike this weekend we noticed rain on pine needles, pine cones falling apart, elk scat, mud, the fact that puddles are deeper in some places, more mud, and boondoggled off our “route” 10 different times.   We were even rewarded with watching this sight on the way back home (look close to see a male and female grouse.) 

I admit – I am HORRIBLE at just discovering and exploring.  I want my lists, my schedules, my plans, my accomplishments and my destinations.  But, I love what I am learning from my kids (and Mtn Papa too as he teaches them the finer things in life.) 

How do you explore?   Do you take time to just let your mind and eyes and feet wander?  Do you discover with your kids?  

4 comments:

  1. We are explorers! Earlier this year when I was diligently trying to plan this summer, I discovered I didn't want to. I wanted us to do what came most naturally to us and be spontaneous. We love deciding at the last minute what road to take, what path or just to stop and play until we desire to go on. The downside is that it's harder to pack for and harder to coordinate with others :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have outings where we just explore and J-Man leads the way. Other adventures are particular destinations and I love both for different reasons. It's amazing how tykes can help us slow down and enjoy the finer things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call every excursion out of the house an adventure - always have! Yesterday it took us 25 minutes to walk the 500m to the park, but 1. Sylvia learned about splinters, ants, cross walks and mailboxes and 2. She walked the entire way (read: I didn't have to carry her!)

    I'm thrilled with the discovery of a whole network of cycling trails around the corner from our house (we recently moved) that I did't know were there until I took a wrong turn one day. The little adventures are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true. Getting out there is about getting AWAY from schedules. Take the time to take your time. I like it :)

    ReplyDelete