We were thrilled that Columbia chose us to review some of their latest gear. Since this could be a super long post, I am going to split it up a little bit. This post will focus on the jacket they sent me and later this week you will see a review of the men's side, thanks to Husband!
Introducing the Women's Triple Trail Shell (in the "Leapfrog" color)
Note: some of the photos here WILL be repeats since I have been wearing my shell on nearly every adventure we have taken for the past 2+ months!
As always, when we do gear reviews here at Tales of a Mountain Mama, we are dedicated to making sure we are truly putting the gear to the test before we recommend anything. It is only fair to you, our readers!
I have been wearing my shell for cross country skiing, back country skiing, snow shoeing, around town, and sledding.
What I love:
The Omni-Heat thermal reflective technology really does work.
I am usually very skeptical of any new technology that claims what Columbia does in this line, but I am a believer! The idea is that the small dots of "space-blanket" like material work to reflect your own heat back in to keep you warmer. Columbia boasts 20% warmer. Like any shell, layering appropriate to the weather is crucial (the shell alone will not keep you warm in colder temperatures.) However, as soon as I got moving, I noticed that it was indeed keeping me warmer that other shells I have owned. Coupled especially with Omni-Heat base layers (review on those coming too), I was toasty with just the shell and the base as long as I was moving (in about 25 degree F temperatures.) When it is colder, I just add more layers.
The weight.
Since most of my time outdoors is spent being active, I prefer gear that works with me on that. I certainly want to keep warm, but I also want things to breathe! This jacket is tough enough to handle snow and winter conditions, but would also be great for cooler summer temperatures in the rain or wind. The jacket is packable (perfect for carrying as an extra layer to put on when you stop moving too!) Helping the ventilation are pit zips.
The length.
Plenty of room to move about and still stay covered! The hem is adjustable, but I prefer to just keep it long.
The hood.
I am super picky about hoods and want one that is truly going to keep me covered. It also has an adjustable drawstring and that Omni-Heat technology to reflect head heat back too!
Placement of seams.
Columbia did this right in allowing for pack straps (shoulder and waist) without chafing.
Not so crazy about:
The "Leap frog" color.
It is certainly not my first choice (are the 80s coming back in style or what?!?!) However, I have gotten tons of compliments on it (which maybe means I am the one out of style??!?) The jacket is also available in Imperial (a purple color) and black.
The fit is ok...
A have found that a lot of shells especially this year are more form-fitting. This is great when you are being active, but makes layering much more difficult. If you plan on putting a bunch of layers under this jacket, I would size up. That said, I think the sizing in the shoulders especially is really great and allows for full range of motion (key when you are getting packs on and off and using poles for xc skiing or snowshoeing.)
Where to find it:
The Columbia Triple Trail Shell
Columbia provided me with this jacket for review. However, as always, the opinions expressed here are completely and honestly my own. Additionally, some of these links are affiliates. See my disclosure here.




No comments:
Post a Comment