Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kids Icebreaker Review and *Giveaway!*

*Contest Closed!* Betsy and Rebecca - check your inbox and congratulations!

We talk about it a lot on the blog, but in case you missed it: We are huge proponents of gear in our family.  Yep, most of it comes with a higher price tag, but the peace of mind knowing your family is safe and warm is absolutely worth it.  And gear starts from the base up.  Husband and I have both worn our fair share of long underwear over the years and know how important it is to have good stuff.  If your base layer isn't doing what it needs to do, the rest of your layers are compromised considerably.

Therefore, we were thrilled to have an opportunity to test out some incredible baselayers (plus some other goodies) from Icebreaker .  Made from Merino Wool taken from the Southern Alps of New Zealand, Icebreaker  boasts products that keep you warm in the cold, cool in the heat, and with a hard-to-beat no-stink factor (my very favorite feature!) + no itch!  And boast they may - this clothing is everything it says it is.




Like any mother does, I worry about keeping my boys warm.  I love that Icebreaker makes kid stuff that even fits P (well, it fits him with a lot of rolling up in the sleeves and legs.)  Because they are baselayers, they are slim-fitting and so keep even the baby warm.  Icebreaker is doing a big promotion of their kid's line right now and I think this video sums the line-up in general really well:



J and P both received an Oasis Crewe top (retail $45) and a pair of Kids Bodyfit200 Leggings (retail $45) J is comfortable in a size 2 and P is in a size 1 with a lot of rolling.  We had the kids wear them out to the cabin this past weekend and they passed the "-20 F degree baselayer test."  And because we really don't change clothes camping unless absolutely necessary (shhh - don't tell!) J wore them day and night for 3 days with no complaint.
checking out the rising sun!


Icebreaker also sent us a Long Sleeve Hoody Skater shirt (retail $60) which we also love.  J loves the hood and the fact that it is light (we layer it on top of the Oasis Crewe).  However, it keeps him surprisingly warm.  The hood is a generous size and "Mr. Hood-Hater" even tolerated it.

Finally, my very favorite kids item is the Kids Pocket Hat (retail $23).  We were thinking we were getting a size for J, but it apparently runs pretty small and fits P perfectly.  It is the best baby hat I have ever come across.  It stays on P's head, keeps him warm, can be layered under thicker hats for lower temperatures, and is soft and non-itchy.  We'll take it!  P also wore his hat day and night for 3 days at the cabin.

A couple of other things we love about Icebreaker:
- It is Sun safe (rated up to 50+ UPF)
- It is fire resistant (think kids around the campfire and be sure to check out the video below demonstrating this)
- Icebreaker clothing comes with a Baacode that you can use to trace your apparel back to the sheep farm.  We think it is incredibly inspiring to see where the clothing comes from.
- There is Free Shipping on ALL orders + free returns and exchanges (so you have the freedom to try!)

Bottom line:  If you are in the market for baselayers (or ANY kids clothing, because we use them for daily wear!) for kids, Icebreaker is absolutely the best we have come across.  They are well worth the money.

Here is the video demonstrating the fire resistance of Merino Wool (make sure you watch this!!)


Ok, so here is the BEST news: Icebreaker has extended their generosity to you, our readers!  They have even offered TWO chances to win.

One person will win a pair of baselayers for their child (winner's choice of size and color) because, like we said, warmth and safety starts at the base and we want you to be able to get out there with your kids!

And because we love the Kids Pocket Hat SOOO much, we asked them if we could also giveaway one of them (which they agreed to - YEA!)  So, a second person will win a hat.  Oh, and the Pocket Hat also comes in an Adult version so winner will again get to choose their size and color.

As always, use the rafflecopter thingy below to enter.  Make sure that once you do a task (or if you have already done it in the past) you click "I did this".  That is what enters you in the giveaway. If you can't see the Rafflecopter, just refresh your page (email me if you have troubles! mountainmamatales@gmail.com)

Watch the blog in the coming weeks for a review of the Adult versions of Icebreaker (hint: we LOVE them!) 


Icebreaker did provide our family with products for review.  However, we received no compensation for a positive review and, as always, the our views are completely and honestly our own.  We believe in telling about products we LOVE and this is one of them!

20 comments:

  1. Ok well I know everyone hopes that they are never in a fire but wow I can't believe the difference! Love the hat it doesn't seem to be a bother, and your little man outside in just his basecloths wow! They seem to be an awsome clothing line.
    ps we have the same infant p.j.s ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay baselayers! If I had enough, I would leave my little one in them all the time...as it is now, pajamas seem to be playing that role.

    Finding warm layers for babies is harder than I imagined. Thanks for your posts! We live in Vermont and we love to go outside, no matter the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Icebreaker's free shipping and return policy, all of the pictures, and the amazing items! It is tough to remain as active as a parent of littles, so it's so nice to have good products to choose from to keep them comfortable and having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the hat fits so little of head that is great and it is so hard to find good baby hats!!! I would be excited to try this as we ice fish so much!! I am going to have to look into this !

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hat P kept on all day and night! Sign me up! I hope it is the same for Gus! We never leave the house around here in the winter without hats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what our little guy needs! Love to hike, but he needs a little extra warmth since he just gets to go along for the ride ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like yet another great product you've discovered! This would definitely come in handy in the damp Washington cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look awesome, I would love to have baselayers for my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's another +1 for Icebreaker threads! The quality, comfort, and aesthetics can't be beat! I'm with AJ - wish I could outfit my little guy in them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great! I was looking for similar items for Monica. These NY winters are super chilly! Love all the pics of the boys. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love me some good old fashion wool! i haven't tried it for my baby, but winning this sample sure would get me to take the leap. i love this product for my self and know my Jackson Hole baby sure could use some great base layers for XC/skate skiing this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found out about Icebreaker products this past week! I'm really curious about their adult and kids' baselayers.

    shannoncarman at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooohh, I like the hat and would love to have one on my head. Always being that person who is cold, I assure you it would get lots of use!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the Womens Tornado in twister/white

    saladforbreakfast AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just last week I was driving home in the cold wondering why I've never seen long underwear stuff for toddlers when love to play outside regardless of the temperature. Now I know it does exist! I love the idea of baselayers for toddlers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My son has the Kids Crewe Top and we love it. It has held up well and he stays warm. My older son would love the Camper Hoody.


    betsy_349 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who couldn't use a good base layer for their kiddo?! Hoping to get Josh some ski lessons this winter... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love merino wool and Icebreaker is awesome quality. I think it's so important for kids to wear good layers as they are usually the ones who determine our time frame for outside play. What a great giveaway!

    tmp.alaska@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. We live in Alaska, and warm feet can make or break our outdoor adventures. I love the cute Womens City Ultralite Over the Calf sox!

    ReplyDelete