Monday, November 7, 2011

Happy Kids, Happy Family

One of the reasons we make getting outside such a priority in our family is that it simply makes us ALL happier.  There is something to be said about the therapeutic effects of fresh air and some good heart-pumping fun.  I notice a drastic difference in the moods of my children (yes, even the 5 month old) and my entire outlook on life personally when we are out there.  And the truth remains that it really doesn't matter what we are doing.  This weekend we took a drive as a family, got another load of wood (uh, I think we are done until we get that massive pile split...) and enjoyed some snow.  J is at the age where he is loving exploring; he loves to jump in the snow, run in it, wipe it off all the logs in the woods, fall in it, eat it, and find out what happens when he throws it straight up in the air (tough lesson there, Buddy.)  It was so fun to see him just light up after a couple long days at home and enjoy nature.  His joy is infectious  and had us all laughing and adventuring right alongside him.

Happy Happy Boy!



As humans, we were not made to sit inside on our bums all day long.  The temptation is so great especially with such a variety of electronic devices out there.  It is so easy to stay home all day and remain entertained (or stay busy doing the things that "have" to be done.)  But, the fact is that we NEED to reconnect with nature and our children NEED to spend time outside (and see their parents do it too!)

Besides from the fact that I love their shoes, I love what the company, KEEN, is promoting right now: Recess.  Recess from life, from work, from troubles, from daily chores.  The view that it is ok (and NECESSARY) to take time away and just get outside, even for just 10 minutes (or 15 in our family...)  I also love that I won a pair of shoes through their Recess promotion (review on those coming in the next few weeks), but that is a different story altogether.

So, today we challenge you:  Get outside, take 10 (or 15, or 20 or 120) minutes of "Recess" and notice how you feel (Isn't life better?)  If you would like, we'd love to hear your comments on if you did it and how it changed your day.

Happy Monday!

Happy Happy Boy #2 (isn't his face a dead giveaway!??! ;))




Warming up in the truck with some brotherly love and a box of crackers.
And because EVERY day is a play day in our home......(check this out!!)

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Yes even my 9 month old is grumpy without some fresh air time in the Chariot,Ergo Baby, or crawling around on the grass. I just got all his cold weather gear so we can continue to get out this winter.

    (Also for some reason I can't login using my Wordpress ID on your site). Says I do not own velomom.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Florida girl who is over the beach, I would love to be tromping up and down some mountains. With the economy here in Florida, it may be a good time! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...you can always email me if you have specific questions, but I always recommend the mountains! Since we live close to the Tetons and Yellowstone I CAN tell you that they are incredible in the fall (don't even bother in the height of the summer - they get crazy with tourists!) But that is just my opinion!

    **And velomom....weird - I will check that out!**

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too find getting outside to be vastly helpful in mood and behavior. We had a new babysitter recently who stayed inside for the first two visits, and said that our twin 34 month-old boys were throwing blocks at her head. I asked if she had taken them outside, as I had suggested. "No," she replied. "Well next time I recommend that approach, as their behavior will improve while outdoors, and all day long after that, if they get some outdoors time." She tried it the next visit, and "they had perfect behavior," she reported! Outdoors is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete